VW Passat BiTDI 10/2015, remaped to 290bhp and 560nm

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VW Passat BiTDI 10/2015, remaped to 290bhp and 560nm

Hi !
      So I have a VW Passat BiTDI 10/2015, remaped to 290bhp and 560nm (so, a Stage 0, a softer touch). Only has about 75k km.
      I do the oil changes at about 10k km, with all the filters.
      I have used (2 oil changes so far, since i bought the car (i bought it at 55.900km)) i have used Mobil 1 ESP 0W30.
      From which I understand the 507 standard for VW TDI with DPF, are 0W30 and 5W30.
      From my point of view, the 0W30 is the better choice.
      Did anyone use M1 ESP 0W30 and can make a review of the oil?
      Any other recommandations? :)
      Thanks.

1. Car Manufacturer, Model, Year of Construction: VW PASSAT VARIANT, 10/2015
      2. Engine - diesel / gasoline, displacement, power: CUAA, BITDI, 2000cmc, 240bhp/500nm ( now at about 290bhp/560nm ) + ADBLUE
      3. Oil volume of the engine: 4,9L service fill
      4. Driving Profile - Motorsport, Short-Distance: Mostly normal driving, daily basis around town and surroundings ( aprox 40-50km/day, maybe more ). 50% normal driving, 30% sportier and about 20% fast
      5. Average speed (see BC, if available): on a daily use around 30-40kmh, extraurban style 70-90kmh ( we do not have a lot of highways in Romania :)) )
      6. Planned oil change intervals: 10.000km ( oil and all the filters ). It may sound stupid for most people, but i always respect my car. Small engine, only 5L of oil, 2 turbos, a lot of cold starts, mostly urban driving... better this way. I wanted to buy a 2.0TSI for how i use the care, but the price was about 3-4000eur over the streched to the limit budget... )
      7. Mileage per year: between 25.000 and 30.000km
      8. Total mileage of the car (mileage): 74.000km ( bought second-hand form Germany at 55.900km, and remaped at about 65.000km )
      9. So far used oil: Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 ( i had a very good experience with Mobil 1 ESP 0W40, on my previous car ( Opel Astra 2.0CDTI 165bhp/350nm - remaped to 190bhp/400nm for about 60.0000km - 6 service oil replacements, but for the VW this oil does not fulfill the norm 504/507 )
      10. Oil consumption ml / 1.000Km: for the last 11.000 since i serviced the car, and half of them pushed on highways at high speeds, the consumption was 100-200ml.
      11. Which oil temperatures are reached: normaly at bout 90-110dgr
      12. Emission standard, exhaust aftertreatment: EURO6 with ADBLUE
      13. Manufacturer releases and viscosities: 0W30 and 5W30
      14. Manufacturer's warranty or goodwill claims: without warranty
      15. Performance increase / planned: already increased :)
      16. Other irregularities, parts exchange, cleaning etc .: none
      17. Planned budget: no limit, just a good oil that can be found easily ( i live in Romania )
      18. Contamination by oil filling opening visible? - i don't understand the question :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by ska ().

• Hi @ska,

thanks for the additional infos.
      Personally I would tend to viscosity 5W-40 with VW 502 00 and ACEA C3. Your slight performance increase (more power and maybe more fuel entry) justifies a rise in viscosity (in my opinion).

On the other hand, car´s manual states VW 504/504 (which only allows 0W-30 and 5W-30). Moreover, oil temperatures seem to reach a maximum of 110 degrees. That is still in the moderate range! :)

Plus, your oil change intervals are quite short (which is good!). I even think you can extend kilometers to 12 til 15 k km!

So I would avoid 0W-30 and go with 5W-30. Oils with 5W have a thicker base oil than 0W-oils which should guarantee a more constant HTHS throughout the interval.

Good options are:

• Ravenol VMP 5W-30
      • Mobil ESP 5W-30
      • Total Quartz Ineo Longlife 5W-30
      • Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C3 XTL

The post was edited 1 time, last by oilbuyer ().

• Hello @oilbuyer, thank you for your reply.
      I would have used 0W40 but it does not have approval for VW norm 504 ( gasoline ) / 507 ( diesel ). Neither does 5W40.
      Oil temperatures reach 70-80% of the time a max of 110drg, the rest 20-30% is above 110 ( maybe 115-120max )
      I check regulary the oil ( at about 3k km ) and above 10k km it gets very dark and watery, so properties not at best levels ( i presume, i am not an expert, and i did not make a true used oil analysis :)) )
      When i bought the car, the dealer ( VW deal ) ( actually the chief mechanic ) told me that they use Mobil 1 Super 3000 5W30.
      I thought that a 0W30 oil will be better for my car, my driving style and my daily routine ( a few cold starts )...
      Oil change interval remain the same, at 10k km. I feel better that way.
    • I knew it did not have any warranty left, when i bought the car, so that is not an issue.
      I am also thinking about the DPF and the regenerations of the DPF. I have a regeneration at about 300-350km with the 0W30, before with the 5W30 used by VW Germany i had one at 250-300km.
      I do not have a problem with respecting the VW norm 507, the question is only, what is better for my car? 0W30 or 5W30? :)
      Thanks!
    • I would also opt for 5W-30 if you want to stay with the factory recommendations.

Although 0W-30 should not pose a problem with your oil change intervals of 10K I would also suggest 5W-30 for the tuning, it has a stronger(thicker) basestock than 0W-30.

The recommendations of oilbuyer are good, I would only add:

Rowe Multi Synth DPF 5W-30
      Addinol Gigs Light 5W-30

If you have been happy with Mobil1 I would just go with the ESP 5W-30, make sure you buy it from a Exxon Mobil partner to be on the safe side of things :hello:
      Hier könnte Ihre Werbung stehen :grins3:
    • Auch wenn ich des Englischen mächtig bin, verzeih mir meine Faulheit:

5W-Öle bieten ein stabileres Basisöl, die Winter in Rumänien sind nicht wirklich kalt, daher sehe ich absolut keine Notwendigkeit für ein 0W-Öl. Die Beladung des DPFs und die daraus resultierende Regeneration ist rein errechnet / modelliert. Natürlich kann je nach verwendetem Öl die tatsächliche DPF-Beladung variieren, aber ein anderes Öl ändert nicht den Regenerationsintervall. Rein technisch gesehen macht es auch wenig Sinn, dass der Intervall mit 5W kürzer ausfällt, als mit 0W.

Ich würde bei diesem Fahrzeug auf 5W-30 oder 5W-40 als ACEA C3 Öl setzen. Ein Öl muss keine 507-Freigabe haben, damit es für DPFs geeignet ist.

Geeignete Kandidaten wären:

Ravenol RUP 5W-40
      Meguin Low Emission 5W-40
      Motul X-Clean 5W-40

Addinol Giga Light 5W-30
      Meguin Compatible 5W-30
      ROWE Multi Synth DPF 5W-30
    • @FlipSidE thanks for the info.
      Yes, i am very pleased with Mobil 1, and yes, i buy it from a safe source :)

@Alex4kant thanks! No problem with the laziness, there is a helper called google translate!
      I will stick with the norms imposed by VW, so i will use only 0w30 or 5w30.

So, i see that everybody is opting for 5W30, so maybe for the next oil change i will switch to it.
      As i said before, for about 60k km i have used M1 ESP 0W40, and i was very pleased, which is a great all round oil. This would have been my choice if the VW norms allowed.
      The main reason for choosing the 0W30 was for a better protection when the engine is cold. Only about 20% of the time i push the care really hard to be in need of a W40 or higher, so the W30 would be ok in the given conditions.

Maybe there, in Germany, you can buy good oil, in a lot of places, but here, i have to stick with the known brands, and i need an oil that i can find "easily" :D
    • The little advantages of 0w on a cold start a overruled by the advantages of the better wear protection of 5w oils.
      If you can, lower the egr rate it will raise the reliability of your engine. Less soot in your intake and longer DPF Life, less regeneration thereby less diesel dilution of your engine oil. If you worry about NoX. Probably your SCR System will compensate for that but maybe you'll have a higher AdBlur consumption, which is a little price for a longer car life.
      Zur Meinungsfreiheit und Demokratie gehört dazu, auch Meinungen und Parteien zu akzeptieren, die einem nicht gefallen. Versucht man diese zu unterdrücken und zu verhindern ist man selbst nicht besser. :moin:
    • @Autoverrueckter thanks! So, as you and the other members suggest, overall, a 5W is better than a 0W, for engine protection.
      How can you lower the egr rate?
      I try to keep in view the regeneration, and i try as much as possible to make it in the optimal conditions and driving style ( not in the city, at constant revs about 2500rpm, and at 100-120kmh ).
      I know that if you miss one, the diesel fuel that is not burned is going into the oil bay, contaminating the oil, making the oil level higher ... ( is this a myth or? )
      I use about 10L of Adblue at about 7-8000km.
    • Yes not finished regeneration is not good. Diesel is so thin it makes your oil thinner thus providing less protection. Well a tuner should be able to do that. On BMW you can do that with Rheingold yourself. Don't know how that works on VW @E36
      can help you with this
      Zur Meinungsfreiheit und Demokratie gehört dazu, auch Meinungen und Parteien zu akzeptieren, die einem nicht gefallen. Versucht man diese zu unterdrücken und zu verhindern ist man selbst nicht besser. :moin: