Ferrari 348ts 1991 oil advice

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Ferrari 348ts 1991 oil advice

Hallo

As my German is not so good i will write in English. You can reply in German, no problem.
      I am looking for a good oil for my 348. Now i am running shell helix ultra 5W40 with additive for zinc.
      But i don't like this combination so i am looking for a modern oil with high zinc and full SAPS.
      Kroon poly tech good idea?

1. Autohersteller, Model, Baujahr: Ferrari 348 1991 (flat tappet)
      2. Motor - Diesel/Benzin, Hubraum, Leistung: 3400cc 320ps V8
      3. Öl-Volumen des Motors:11l dry sump
      4. Fahrprofil - Motorsport, Kurz- Langstrecke: normal / langzahm
      5. Wie hoch ist die Durchschnittsgeschwindigkeit: normal
      6. Geplante Ölwechsel-Intervalle: 2000km
      7. Jahres- & Gesamtlaufleistung: 1000 km /jahr
      8. Bisher genutztes Öl: shell HU 5W40 + zinc add
      9. Ölverbrauch ml/1.000Km: 0
      10. Welche Öltemperaturen werden erreicht: ?? ich fahre nicht snell.
      11. Abgasnorm, Abgasnachbehandlung:
      12. Hersteller-Freigaben und Viskositäten: 10W40 Agip Sint 2000
      13. Herstellergarantie oder Kulanzansprüche:
      14. Leistungssteigerung vorhanden/geplant:
      15. Sonstige Unregelmäßigkeiten, Teiletausch, Reinigungen etc.:
      16. Eingeplantes Budget:
      17. Verschmutzung durch Öleinfüllöffnung sichtbar? nein (dry sump )

Mfg
      Patrick
    • Yes Kroon Polytech should work very well.

Penrite Racing 10 also, with much zinc and lots of boron.

The thicker oil - larger molecules - of 10W40 instead of 5W40 is better for high temperature and high shear. I think you dont drive in cold winter, so 10W is no disadvantage.

RedLine - expensive, but very good oil.
    • And you can easily stretch your oil drain interval to 4-5 thousand km or even more with no problems because of the 11L of engine oil.
      VW Lupo 1.6 mit AEE Motor (wird 04.2019 durch einen Audi TT 1.8T Quattro mit BAM Motor ersetzt)
      Audi Coupé 2.3 20V Quattro mit 7A Motor
      Mercedes 300D W124 mit 603.912 Motor
      BMW 525d e39 mit M57D25 Motor
      Seat Ibiza 6L 1,9TDI mit ASZ Motor

:red:
    • Nice car.
      The engine is not exactly a "Flat tappet" like the ancient US V8 / British 4+6 Cylinder OHV engines that used inferior materials in the valvetrain sometimes.
      Therefore, i think that your concerns about wear on the Valvetrain in your engine is unnecessary. Your car have a DOHC engine with cam followers or bucket tappets, problems with this type of valve train that neeeds to be adressed with extra zinc are generelly unknown.

However, for your peace of mind i would recommend you this oil with a extra high level of Zinc:

Penrite Racing 10 10W-40 (100% PAO Ester)

If you like, you can add 3% of Liqui Molys ceratec additive and you will get a extremly good oil:

10W-40 Penrite + 10W-30 Redline + LM Ceratec
    • Maddin schrieb:

Yes Kroon Polytech should work very well.

Penrite Racing 10 also, with much zinc and lots of boron.

The thicker oil - larger molecules - of 10W40 instead of 5W40 is better for high temperature and high shear. I think you dont drive in cold winter, so 10W is no disadvantage.

RedLine - expensive, but very good oil.
      Hello I do drive in the winter from time to time. When the weather is ok of course and no salt on the road. So coldstart is also important.

PS This is my car.
      Bilder
      • 20170927_153915.jpg

1,54 MB, 2.560×1.440, 51 mal angesehen
    • 0815 schrieb:

Horsty schrieb:

And you can easily stretch your oil drain interval to 4-5 thousand km or even more with no problems because of the 11L of engine oil.
      Also 4-5 Jahre drin lassen?

Horsty schrieb:

Ja. Muss ja nichts leisten das Öl.
      Iam not quite sure if this is the way I would go. Although we got an used oil analysis from a v8 jaguar which has done 10.200km in 9 years with the same oil. The oil analysis wasn’t as bad as expected.
      Check this:
      Mobil1 Protection Formula 0W-40 (SuperSyn) - Jaguar XJR V8 - 4.500 Km / 10.200 Km
      Mobil1 Protection Formula 0W-40 (SuperSyn) - Jaguar XJR V8 - 4.500 Km / 10.200 Km

But I would stick to 2 maximum 3 years interval. I mean it is a rare and expensive car... there is no need to stretch the intervals to the limit.
    • Hi! Impressive car! :check:
      :moin:
      I would take 10W40 because it's recommended by manufacturer. For sure the car is in a garage so you have for the start never really deep temperatures like in the nordic hemisphere. ;)
      11L oil is a is a lot while 1000km in a year is nothing - so I think you have not to need think about the absolutely very best (racing) oil for this driving profile. Every serious full saps oil will working well!
      And don't forget ... fast cars need to be driven fast sometimes. It's good for all mechanic parts, brakes, engine... and also for the oil to vaporize fuel. 8o
      Regards - Jörg
    • 5w- is O.K.

Oil is getting better and better technically since the year your car was manufactured. Sure, a 5w- oil is more likely to "Shear down", getting thiner after a lot of hard use, but that is only a problem when you run long oil change intervalls, a thing that you dont do with your Italian toy i am sure? ;)

From your list, i would prefer the ROWE. It is fully synthetic and the used oil anylysis here show good results.

The Penrite HPR is in fact mainly a Hydrockrack Oil. Since you car dont have a Turbocharger and therefore heat is not a problem, ist is O.K. to use and a very good choice, making second place in my opinion.

I am personally dont like to use and recommend Ravenoil oils anymore, because Ravenol changes formulation between charges like no other manufacturer, making all virgin oil sample anlysis worthless.
    • Gents,

let me also throw Motul 300V Power 5w40 into the Ring. The 348 engine is a bit sensetive espacially on cold days for first start (sorry its a Ferrari so sometimes those engines needs special care ;) ) so this could be also an option for this kind of engine.
      According to the profile description its worth to consider.
      Great looking car btw :daumen: If I wouldn't own my Pantera GT5 S a 308, 328 or 348 would be a nice alternative.
      Hold Fast
    • Thank you all for the advice.
      I drive the car very carefully most of the time. Certainly when it's cold. But from time to time i let it go.:-) Cleaning the spark plug's.
      I also think temp is not very extreme. It has a lot of coolant, dry sump and a big oil cooler ( and a lot of oil !).

I was looking at the Motul to but it seems not to have a long life time even when not driven. But i know it has a very high/good reputation.

So maybe a full synth like the Rowe "lives" longer, is more stable in time as the milage i do i of course very very low.
      ZDDP content is also high as the other specs are top.

Anyway i change every 2 years no matter the milage.

Here is the engine when i did my major service last winter.